Municipality of Banari
Brief notes on the town:
The population centre of Banari is located at the foot of Mount Sa Silva and extends within a rugged territory, which alternates between high trachyte plains and valleys crossed by waterways. Historically populated by human settlements since the Nuragic age, it belonged to the administrative region of Figulinas and of Mejlogu. In the Middle Ages the area was dominated alternately by the Doria and the Aragonese. Among the natural attractions of the town of Banari are the High plains of Corona Alta and of Sa Silva, the Animal protection haven of Badda Manna.The Rio S’Adde, of great naturalistic interest, is covered in springtime by an expanse of wild buttercups.
The economy of the town is mainly connected with the agro-pastoral activity with a copious amount of sheep breeding. Alongside the activity of sheep farming is the extraction of red trachyte, which is still used to this day to adorn both new and old buildings. Other important activities for the town are the production of cereals, olives, grapes and cork.
The population centre of Banari is located in Mejlogu one of the historical regions of Sardinia, on the Siligo-Ittiri road, on a rugged territory which alternates between high trachyte plains and valleys crossed by waterways, from which comes the root A-NARI (= above the rivers). Town of agro-pastoral origin, its historical centre preserves a number of noble residences built between the XIII and XVIII centuries, which remain in a good state. The Domus de Janas to be found in the territory of Banari are evidence of the presence of man since the Neolithic period (1800/1500 B.C.), but the birth of the village dates from the Middle Ages. It was formed due to the merging of three distinct centres, connected with the growing power of the monastic orders who had taken up residence in the large convents: that of the homonymous village, and the monastic centres of S.Lorenzo and S. Michele dei Camaldolesi of Saccargia (in Codrongianos). Instead, the monastery of which the ruins remain around the Romanesque Church of Santa Maria di Cea on the road to Ittiri, belonged to the Vallombrosani of the Salvenero convent (in the territory of Ploaghe). In subsequent centuries Banari was part of the dominion of the Doria, then, under the Aragonese domination, it was included, together with Siligo, in the county of Villanova Montesanto, fief of the Alagon. In 1796 it took part in the anti-feudal revolts encouraged by Thiesi and joined with Giovanni Maria Angioi in his unfortunate feat. The economy of the town is principally connected with the agro-pastoral activity as well as the extraction of trachyte which still adorns both old and new buildings. The production of terracotta products, including tiles and bricks, also played an important part in the past. On the main square of the town stands the 18th century Palazzo Corda, home today to the town hall. Its interiors in red trachyte and, in particular, the board room and library are striking elements. Among the other buildings of note are Palazzo Carta whose original structure dates to the XIII century, Palazzo Solinas Zamboni also property of the town administration and the Palazzo of the family of Monsignor Diego Marongiu Del Rio (1819-1905). He was archbishop of Sassari, university professor and deputy at the Parliament in Turin from 1849 to 1852.
Traditions and events:
|Feast of St. Lawrence||Urban centre||August 9-11|
|Feast of Our Lady of Cea||Locality of Santa Maria di Cea||December 7-8|
|Feast of Saint Michael||Urban centre||September 28-29|