Municipality of Bono
Brief notes on the town:
Bono is the most important centre of the Goceano located in the western part of Mount Rasu (1259m), on the banks of the River Tirso. It is located at the foot of Mount Rasu, whose peek “Sa Punta Manna” is at an altitude of 1259 metres, and has a territory abounding in historical monuments. The territory of Bono is characterised by a great variety of landscapes, in a continuous alternation of plains, hills and mountains. Of great naturalistic importance is also the locality of “Sos Nibberos”, located on the northwestern slopes of Mount Rasu. Its forest of Taxus baccata has been declared a natural monument, and it is the largest in Italy. It contains millenary specimens that reach up to 16 metres in height and a diameter that exceeds one meter. A short distance away are Mount Pisanu and the rest area of “Sa Puntighedda”. Close to the Barracks of the Forest Rangers of Mount Pisanu, at an altitude of 861 metres, different tree species have been planted, namely the Atlantic cedar, the downy oaks and the giant thujas. Among them there is a remarkable specimen of white fir. Due to its important naturalistic interest most of the area of Bono is protected by the intense monitoring activity carried out by the forest rangers, the environmental vigilance of RAS and the state forest company. It is visited by many tourists, who are also attracted by the presence of numerous small lakes.
The local economy is based above all on agro-pastoral activities, but there is a discreet presence of craftwork represented by iron and wood processing, weaving and bread production.
The first residents settled in nearby units, like those of the villas of Bidda Sana and Lorthia, which have now disappeared. Involved in the battles between Arborensi and Aragonese, Bono was conquered by Spanish troops. At the end of the 18th century after the anti-feudal revolts of its heroic citizen Giommaria Angioy, the village was attacked and sacked. From 1807 to 1821 it was elected chief town of the province, and ruled over 17 towns.
The parish Church of San Michele (late 16th century) is one of the most beautiful churches of the diocese with a wonderful pink trachyte rosette window on the facade. It preserves a XV century wooden statue of Saint Michael and a gilded silver chalice of the XIV century. Four canon balls, which fell in the town during a siege, are still used as weights for the clock.
A curious feast is celebrated in the Church of San Raimondo with the use of the largest pumpkin in the town.
The five churches of Lorthia al campo (Sas Cresias de su Campu): San Gavino, Sant’Ambrogio, Santa Restituta, San Nicola di Bari and Santa Barbara rise 8 km from the town.
The craftwork is represented by iron and wood processing, weaving and bread production. The food and wine savoured sitting around the bonfire on the feast of St. Anthony Abbot is delectable. The feast day falls on 16th January and the food includes Sa Piscadura, pork with broad beans served with wine and carasau.
The locality of Sos Nibberos, at the foot of Mount Rasu, is of great naturalistic interest. A short distance from the town is Mount Pisanu and the rest area of Sa Puntighedda.
Traditions and events:
|Feast of the Bonfire||Urban centre||January 16|
|Feast of Our Lady of Bonaria||Urban centre||April 24|
|Feast of Saint Gavino||Rural church||May 1|
|Feast of Saint Catherine||Urban centre||May-June|
|Feast of Saint Restituita||Rural church||May 1|
|Feast of Saint John||Urban centre||June 24|
|Feast of Saint Raymond||Urban centre||August 31|
|Feast of Saint Barbara||Rural church||Early September|
|Feast of Saint Efisio||Urban centre||September 11|
|Feast of Saint Nicholas||Rural church||September 25|
|Feast of Saint Michael||Urban centre||September 29|
|Feast of Saint Andrew||Urban centre||November 30|