Municipality of Bottidda
Brief notes on the town:
Lying in a level sun-soaked position at the foot of “Su Monte ‘e sa Corona”, Bottidda offers visitors a particularly impressive view, thanks to the presence of the imposing granite rock to the west, on which the Castle of Goceano rises magnificently. The town was one of the most important centres of the territory, to the extent that the first Franciscan convent of Sardinia was set up on Mount Rasu in 1220. Within its territory there are twenty or so nuraghi which are evidence of human presence in remote times. Among the best preserved are those of su Pasciarzu and sa Corona (with the homonymous Tombs of the Giants), sa Pietade, s’Orculana, Orrios, Ortivai, Mastru Porcu, discovered close to the homonymous nuraghi. The mountain is abounding in Holm oaks, oaks, chestnuts, perennial springs and game. Amid the widespread presence of secular plants emerges the majestic millenary oleaster, which rises opposite the s’Orculana nuraghe, on the left bank of the River Tirso.
The economy is based primarily on agro-pastoral activities and, in part, the sectors of industry, craftwork and commerce are also present.. The production of cold cuts and the local bread “pane fresa”, wood processing, catering, holiday farms and fodder production are some of the activities worth underlining in Bottidda.
The origin of Bottidda is very old. Some scholars believe the centre could have been founded by the Greeks, as a first urban unit of the High Tirso Valley, with the name of Gocille. Its original location was, however, on the Su Pizzu hill, where the remains of an ancient church, dedicated to Saint Stephen, were still visible up to some years ago. In the new urban unit the people built new churches including the Church of Santa Maria (today the Church of Beata Vergine del Rosario stands in its place), Santa Rughe and Santu Juanne (on which rises the Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli known as Church of Sant’Antonio). During the first half of the XII century the rock of Gocille attracted the attention of the Judges of Torres who built the Castle of Goceano on it between 1131 and 1133. The importance taken on by Gocille in Medieval times is also confirmed by the presence of two Franciscan convents in its territory: one built on Mount Rasu in 1220, is still accessible and was the first Franciscan convent to be built in Sardinia. The other was built in 1640 on the outskirts of the populated centre. The Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli remains as evidence of this.
Traditions and events:
|Feast of Saint Anthony Abbot||Urban centre||January 16|
|Carnival||Social centre||Thursday and fat tuesday|
|Feast of May 1st and ecological walk||Town agro and St. Stephens park (Su Pizzu)||May 1|
|Five-aside football tournament||Five-aside football pitch in the locality of Su Pizzu||June-July|
|Contemporary art competition - murales||Urban centre||June|
|Feast of Saint Anthony of Padua||Urban centre||June 13|
|Feast of Portiuncula or the forgiveness of Assisi||Locality of Mount Rasu||August 2|
|Summer in Bottidda||Town amphitheatre||Mid September|
|Feast of the Blessed Virgin of the Rosary||Urban centre||October 7|
|Christmas together||Urban centre - social centre||December|