Municipality of Mara
Brief notes on the town:
Mara is a small town in Mejlogu, positioned on a vast trachyte terrace, a few kilometres from Padria and Pozzomaggiore.
The purely hilly landscape is ploughed by narrow valleys, at the bottom of which flow small torrents which run considerably dry in summer. Once rich and abundant, the vegetation now consists of Mediterranean maquis and some occasional wood of Holm oaks. The northern part of the territory is dominated by two high plains: the block, rugged volcanic outcrop of Mount Traesu, and the isolated peek at the top of which stand the remains of the Bonu Ighinu castle. Between the two high plains lies a basin on a gentler relief, watched over by the beautiful rural Church of Nostra Signora di Bonu Ighinu. There are a large number of caves, many of which are of important speleological interest. The caves, and the area in general, are the perfect location for sporting and trekking itineraries. At the bottom of the valley rises a fresh and plentiful water spring. In 2007, the documentation centre on rustic civilisation was inaugurated in Mara with the presence of the president of the Literary Park "Grazia Deledda". The Centre is born within the context of a project connected with the name of the greatest Sardinian writer, Nobel Prize winner for literature, Grazia Deledda (Nuoro 1871 - Rome 1936). The work of the Sardinian writer marks the high level of awareness of the vital relationship, sometimes happy, sometimes sad, between man and nature, between man and the earth, in a primitive and rustic dimension which the sensitivity of a refined intelligence has known how to return in its emotional and spiritual fullness.
The economy is dedicated to agriculture and sheep farming.
A contribution to the knowledge of the history of Mara relevant to the XII and XIII century, is provided by the information found in the Condaghe (administrative document) of St. Peter of Silki. According to these sources Mara was part of Giudicato of Torres (independent organisations of the Sardinian Middle Ages), and was included in the administrative region of Nurkara. In the territory of Mara traces of Medieval settlements are still visible in a number of localities called Santa Vittoria, Su Cumbentu, Cantones de Lado, S. Andria, S.ta Caderina
The historical centre of Mara shows a seventeenth-eighteenth century urban framework which pivots around the parish Church of S. Giovanni. The caves of Sa 'Ucca ‘e su Tintirriolu, Sa Molina and Filiestru located in the area of Tintìa within the better-known region of Bonu Ighinu are of great naturalistic interest. In the neighbouring area stands the celebrated rural Church of Nostra Signora di Bonu Ighinu. The original layout certainly dates to an older time, and is probably related to a settlement which has vanished. This theory is supported by numerous findings of ceramics with a surface that can be dated to the Roman age and further back into the High Middle Ages.
Traditions and events:
|Carnival||Urban centre||February 3-8|
|Feast of Saint John the Baptist||Urban centre||June 24|
|S'istiu Maresu||Urban centre||July-September|
|Feast of Our Lady of Bonu Ighinu||Urban centre||September 18|